"Integrative Computational Materials Engineering Expert Group"
Funding: European Union, 7th Framework Programme (NMP3-CA-2013-606711)
Partners: ACCESS e.V., K&S GmbH Projecktmanagement, e-Xtream engineering S.A., IMDEA Materials Institute, Thermo-Cal Software AB, Stichting Materials Innovation Institute, Czech Technical University in Prague, RWTH Aachen Technical University, Centre for Numerical Methods in Engineering, simufact engineering GmbH, Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan
Project period: 2013 – 2016
Principal Investigator: Dr. Yuwen Cui (yuwen.cui(AT)imdea.org)
ICMEG (Integrative Computational Materials Engineering Expert Group) aims at the creation of an open, global standard for information exchange related to a heterogeneous variety of commercial and academic simulation tools. The vision of ICMEG is a new strategy of materials and process development, where a variety of academic and commercial simulation tools (present and future) can be easily combined across different process steps and bridging several length scales in a “plug&play” type architecture being based on an object oriented, standardized information exchange. Multi-scale in this context covers electronic, atomistic, mesoscopic and continuum models.
The Mission of ICMEg is to:
- Establish and maintain a network of contacts related to: simulation software providers around the world, governmental and international standardization authorities, users of simulation software, different associations in the area of materials and processing, and academic developers of simulation software.
- Define a language in form of an open and standardized communication protocol.
- Stimulate knowledge sharing in the field of multiscale materials design.
- Communicate this standard worldwide to make it widely accepted.
- Discuss and to decide about future amendments to the initial standard.
- Establish a legal body for a sustainable further development.
The Approach of ICMEg to realize both its vision and its mission is to create a global network of all stakeholders in the area of ICME software and users by:
- Identifying all actors in the field of ICME related simulations.
- Creating an inventory of these stakeholders.
- Networking of all identified stakeholders in two international conferences.
- Composing a directory of all available simulation approaches.
- Establishing a common language for standardized information exchange
- Secure sustainable further the common language by foundation of an international association.
- Identifying missing models and functionalities and proposing a roadmap for their development
The main role of IMDEA Materials Institute in ICMEG project is especially to provide sand-box scenarios and industrial use cases, but also to provide the institution's general expertise and network of contacts.