Synthesis of Nanomaterials Laboratory - SYNANO
The Synthesis of Nanomaterials Laboratory (SYNANO) is located at the IMDEA Materials Institute and is organized into six fundamental units:
- Synthesis of CNTs macroscopic fiber Unit
- CNTs fiber treatment Unit
- Synthesis of Laminated Nanomaterials Unit
- Synthesis of Nanomaterials by electrospinning Unit
- Nanocomposites production Unit
- Nanoparticle dispersion in polymeric matrices Unit
The head of the laboratory is Luís Arévalo. Each of the units also has the scientific supervision of the researchers responsible for each of the research lines.
The Synthesis of Nanomaterials Laboratory (SYNANO) is structured as follows:
- Services coordinator: Luís Arévalo Nogales (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Synthesis of Nanomaterials Laboratory (SYNANO) is organized into six fundamental units with the following capacities:
Synthesis of CNTs macroscopic fiber Unit: chemical vapor deposition (CVD) equipment for the continuous manufacture of a macroscopic fiber (5 – 100 microns diameter) made of carbon nanotubes directly from the reaction zone. It has the possibility to use various carbon sources, both in liquid (e.g. ethanol) and gas (e.g. methane), as well as the incorporation of dopants in the reaction.
CNTs fiber treatment Unit: system to treat fibers after their synthesis, including densification, impregnation of liquids, impregnation of polymers, purification with radiation, system to give molecular orientation by means of tension winding, application of coatings (sizing) and preparation of laminates for composites.
Synthesis of Laminated nanomaterials Unit: chemical vapor deposition (CVD) equipment for the manufacture of monatomic sheets (or few layers) of carbon-based materials, MoS2, WS2, as well as their combinations. The equipment is designed to integrate a conveyor belt for continuous synthesis on interesting substrates in engineering.
Synthesis of Nanomaterials by electrospinning Unit: system for the production of hybrid polymer/nanoparticle/semiconductor materials by electrospinning, with its possible variants. The equipment contemplates the production of coaxial materials and the manufacture of particle membranes with a high specific surface area of polymer, metal or metal oxides.
Nanocomposites production Unit: Mold system, degassing, oven curing (including vacuum oven) and electric curing (DC and AC). Equipment to measure temperature and electrical resistance during curing.
Nanoparticle dispersion in polymeric matrices Unit: calender to disperse submicron particles in polymeric matrices, either low molecular weight thermoplastics or thermosetting resins. Includes dispersion adjustment system through temperature control, shear speed and separation between rollers.
The main mission of the laboratory is the production of new macroscopic materials from nanostructures, so the unusual nanoscale properties can be reflected on a macro scale.
- Synthesis of CNTs macroscopic fiber Unit: Manufacture of macroscopic nanostructured materials by chemical vapor deposition (CVD) with control of the number of layers of the building blocks, as well as the porosity of the macroassembly. Doping of the graphitic lattice directly during the CVD reaction.
- CNTs fiber treatment Unit: The winding, densification and impregnation system will be used to produce materials in the form of sensors to study their electromechanical properties, as well as their sensitivity to environmental factors (temperature, humidity, liquids, etc.) .
- Synthesis of Laminated nanomaterials Unit: CVD laminates synthesis.
- Synthesis of Nanomaterials by electrospinning Unit: Production of photocatalysts: electrospinning of hybrid materials from polymer/semiconductor/nanocarbon combinations and subsequent crystallization heat treatments from in-situ X-ray measurements in the diffractometer. The equipment allows the synthesis of a large variety of metal oxides, as long as it is possible to produce them by sol-gel reactions.
- Nanocomposites production Unit: Manufacture of nanocomposites with polymeric matrices (thermoplastic, thermoset) in the form of sheets/components for their subsequent integration into aerospace laminated composites, using processes to minimize the amount and effect of defects in the final structure and thus preserve the properties of the structural material.
- Nanoparticle dispersion in polymeric matrices Unit: Dispersion of nanocarbons and other nanomaterials in thermoset matrices, including those commonly used in aerospace applications (RTM6, Huntsman bisphenol base).
Current available equipment:
o Synthesis of CNTs macroscopic fiber Unit
- Three-area furnace for fiber growth.
- Adjustable injection system for growth in the SWNT – MWNT spectrum.
- Dopant addition system during the CVD reaction.
- Porosity control by injection / temperature profile
o CNTs fiber treatment Unit
- Coil system for material collection.
- Speed differential for material stretching and spinning speed control in the range 5 – 100 m/min.
- Liquid atomization system to densify fibers.
- Equipment to introduce liquids or polymer into porous fibers.
- In-line impregnation system with resins and thermoplastics.
o Synthesis of Laminated nanomaterials Unit
- Furnace for CVD growth of laminated materials.
- Continuous growth system by displacement of substrates.
- Quick reaction cooling system.
- Adaptation for growth on unconventional substrates (e.g. CF).
o Synthesis of Nanomaterials by electrospinning Unit
- Electrospinning machine for polymeric fibers and metallic protofibers and metallic oxides.
- Different membrane collection surfaces: flat substrate, rotating, mesh.
- Electrospinning of coaxial fibers.
- Head for multiple injection.
- Thermal treatment system for crystallization of inorganic fibers.
o Nanocomposites production unit
- Plastic and metal molds for the production of nanocomposites according to standards.
- High volume degassing system (> 1l) and with temperature control (up to 120 ° C).
- Curing ovens, including vacuum.
- Real temperature and electrical resistance measurement system during curing.
- Electric current curing system.
o Nanoparticle dispersion in polymeric matrices Unit
- Calender for dispersion of nanoparticles in polymeric matrices.
- Shear parameter control: temperature (-10 – 120 ° C), speed and gap between rollers.
- Electric current curing system.
The rates of the services will vary depending on the manufacturing and characterization work required (type of material, manufacturing techniques, type of tests, number of samples, test standards, etc.).
In order to obtain a technical-economic offer of the R&D services, contact the laboratory services coordinator email@example.com