Multiscale Materials Modelling
- RESEARCH INTERESTS
- ACADEMIC CAREER
- HONORS AND AWARDS
His research activities are focused on the simulation of the mechanical behavior of materials at different length scales and the coupling of these scales using multiscale approaches. He has worked on composites, metals, lattice-based materials and porous materials with the aim of determining the effect of the microstructure of these materials on their behavior, including elastic, plastic, visco-elastic and visco-plastic regimes as well as fracture, damage and fatigue response.
He is an expert in the development of models and simulation techniques in the field of computational micromechanics and approaches at lower length scales such as Molecular Dynamics, Discrete Dislocation Dynamics and Crystal Plasticity. He is also an expert in Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) based solvers for micromechanics and multiphysical problems.
As result of these research, he has generated some research open source codes, as the crystal plasticity tool set CAPSUL, nowadays licenced to e-Xstream, or FFTMAD, a generalist FFT solver for non-linear homogenization.
He has continuous collaborations with several worlwide research teams both in Europe and the Americas.
- Since 2020, Full Professor in Solid Mechanics at the Technical University of Madrid
- Since 2008, Senior Researcher and Head of the Multiscale Materials Modeling group at IMDEA Materials Institute, Spain.
- 2008-2019 Associate Professor in the Material Science Department of the Technical University of Madrid and Researcher at the IMDEA Materials Institute.
- 2005-2008 Assistant Professor in Solid Mechanics the Technical University of Madrid
- 2004 PhD, Material Science Department of the Technical University of Madrid, Spain.
- 1999 BSc Materials Engineering, Technical University of Madrid, Spain.
- 2018 Fullbright scholarship for a sabbatical year in UCLA and Los Alamos National Lab
- 2010 Award for the best young researcher of Polytechnic University of Madrid
- 2004 Award of the Polytechnic University of Madrid to the best doctoral thesis.
- 2000-2004 FPU Doctoral grant, Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia.