Publications at IMDEA Materials
His group’s work is focused on the development of macroscopic materials made up of nanobuilding blocks in a way that the unique properties at the nanoscale are preserved through the assembly process and a new generation of high-performance engineering materials is produced. He was involved in early developments of a process to make continuous macroscopic fibres made up of CNTs, at Cambridge, and took part in the transfer of this technology to industry. Since 2011 he has led a research group pursuing molecular control in synthesis of nanostructured fibres; methods to hybridize them with polymers and inorganic materials; the use of advanced X-ray and spectroscopic techniques to establish structure-property relations in these complex hierarchical systems; and the study of reinforcement and energy storage/transfer in composites with CNT fibre fabrics. His research has helped establish the unique combination of properties of CNT fibres, particularly for multifunctional composites that can store or harvest energy.
- Since 2011 Head of Multifunctional Nanocomposites group at IMDEA Materials Institute, Spain.
- 2009-2011 Postdoctoral research associate, University of Cambridge, UK.
- 2005-2009 PhD, University of Cambridge, UK.
- 2004-2005 Research laboratory manager, Advanced Additives Laboratory, Jumex, Mexico
- 2004 Research internship with Prof. P. Ajayan, Department of Materials Science, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, US. (3 months)
- 2003 Research internship with Prof. M. Terrones, Department of Materials Science, IPICYT, Mexico. (3 months)
- 2018 “Miguel Catalán" Award (under 40) granted by the Madrid Regional Government
- 2016 “Young Investigator Award granted by the European Society for Composite Materials
- 2015-2020 “Ramón y Cajal Fellowship from the Spanish Ministry of Economy”
- 2011-2013 “Juan de la Cierva Fellowship from the Spanish Ministery of Science and Innovation (MICINN)”
- 2005-2009 “PhD scholarship from the Mexican Science Council (CONACYT)”
- 2004 “Research internship scholarship from the US government, RPI, US”