Since 2018 she manages the programme on Structural Materials at the Spanish National Science Foundation and is a member of the advisory board of several international scientific institutions, including the NOMATEN Center of Excellence (Poland), the IRT Jules Verne (France), the European Space Agency, and the Henry Royce Institute (UK).
Teresa got a PhD in Physics at the Complutense University in Madrid in 1998. Her doctoral research was carried out at the Spanish Center for Metals Research (CENIM) and at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California (USA). After a 2 year postdoctoral stay at the University of California in San Diego (USA) she joined CENIM in 2001 as a tenure-track Ramón y Cajal fellow until she was granted a Tenured Scientist position in 2004. She completed her education with an MBA at INSEAD (France) in 2008, where her team project, a spin-off company based on technology developed at Caltech and the University of Pittsburgh, was awarded the 1st prize at the Business Venture Competition.
She has coauthored 129 papers (h 41, ≈6000 citations (Scopus)), 1 book (Elsevier, 2004) and 3 patents, has advised 8 PhD theses and has led 22 research projects funded by EU, industrial and Spanish sources. She receives periodically invitations to participate in project evaluation panels of international research funding agencies and to deliver lectures globally at metallurgy & materials events. She was recently featured in national mass media (https://www.elmundo.es/ciencia-y-salud/ciencia/2019/06/20/5d0a8d04fdddff33048b46de.html).
- RESEARCH INTERESTS
- ACADEMIC CAREER
- HONORS AND AWARDS
- COMMITTEES AND PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
Dr. Pérez-Prado´s expertise consists on linking the composition, processing, microstructure, and properties of metals to optimize alloy design for advanced manufacturing, sustainable transport, energy and biomedical applications.
- 2008- Senior Scientist and Head, Sustainable Metallurgy group, IMDEA Materials Institute.
- 2017- 2021 Deputy Director, IMDEA Materials Institute.
- 2014- 2017 Department Head, IMDEA Materials Institute.
- 2004-2007 Visiting Research Assistant Professor, University of Southern California, LA, USA
- 2004-2007 Tenured Scientist, Ramón y Cajal fellow, Spanish Center for Metals Research (CENIM)
- 2001-2004 Tenure-track, Ramón y Cajal fellow, Spanish Center for Metals Research (CENIM)
- 1998-2000 Research Associate, University of California, San Diego, USA
- 2020 - Brahm Prakash Chair Professorship, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
- 2015 - Member, TMS Light Metals Division, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, EEUU.
- 2009 PI3 fellowship (€130K) of the Madrid Regional Government, Spain.
- 2008 Lister-Vickery Trophy, 1st Prize winner of the 16th INSEAD Comitel Business Venture Competition (Solitonik), France.
- 2007 Caja Madrid fellowship (€62K/1 year) of the Caja Madrid Foundation, Spain.
- 2006 Visiting scholar (Marina Bueno grant, CSIC) at the Max Planck Institute, Stuttgart, Germany.
- 2001-2004 “Ramón y Cajal Fellowship from the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science”
- 1996-1998 Visiting scholar, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California, USA.
- 1994 FPI PhD fellowship, Spanish Ministry of Education and Science (4 year grant).
- 1994 Visiting scholar (IAESTE fellowship), University of Chemnitz, Germany.
- 1993 “Introduction to research” fellowship, Spanish Ministry of Education and Science.
- 1992 Award to academic excellence, Faculty of Physics, Complutense University, Madrid, Spain.
- 2021 - Member of the International Advisory Board, Henry Royce Institute, UK.
- 2020 - Member of the International Advisory Board, European Space Agency.
- 2019 - Member of the Scientific Council, Fundación Gadea Ciencia, Spain.
- 2018 - Program Manager of Structural Materials, Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación, Spain.
- 2018 - Member of the Scientific Board of NOMATEN Center of Excelence
- 2018 - Member of the Scientific Board of IRT Jules Verne
- 2017 - 2021 Board member of SOCIEMAT (Spanish Society for Materials)