• Bulk processing techniques: casting by induction and arc melting, as well as a Gleeble physical simulator, furnished with fixtures suitable for rolling, extrusion, torsion, sintering, welding, and rapid solidification.
• Powders manufactured by gas atomisation and mechanical milling. Selective laser melting technology for additive manufacturing of metals (to be installed in 2018).
Polymer based composites and nanocomposites
• Liquid moulding processing: RTM resin transfer moulding, VI vacuum infusion, RFI resin film infusion and pultrusion.
• Prepreg lamination using vacuum bagging of autoclave and out-of-autoclave prepregs (OoA) or laminate hot-press moulding (<400°C).
• Semi-industrial equipment for compounding and injection
moulding of thermosplastics.
• Integration of advanced nano-fillers.
• Synthesis and chemical modification of nanocarbons, inorganic materials, nanoporous semiconductors, thin films, zeolites and other nanomaterials.
• Evaporation equipment in controlled atmospheres, high-pressure reactors and in-house chemical vapour deposition systems.
Energy storage and conversion devices
• Synthesis and characterisation of nanostructured electrode
materials for energy storage applications. Fabrication of composite electrodes and integrated in various types of rechargeable batteries (Li-ion, Li-S, Li-O2, Na-ion, and hybrid batteries etc.).
• Fabrication and testing of nanocarbon-based electrodes and their integration with liquid and solid electrolytes to form largeage (> 100 cm2) flexible supercapacitors.
• Integration of energy-storage functions in structural composites.
• Fabrication (solvent-based deposition, physical vapour
deposition, high temperature sintering ovens and hot plates) and characterization (solar simulators, incident photon-to-current conversion, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy and intensity-modulated photovoltage spectroscopy) of hybrid solar cells and thin-film organic solar cells.
• Fabrication and characterisation of hybrid light-emitting diodes and thin-film lighting devices.
• Rack system consisting of 7 positions that are independently driven, while the luminance and chromaticity features are monitored over time via UV-VIS spectrophotometers coupled to integrated spheres.
• Station to measure spatial light distribution and temperature generation in a micrometre resolution over time.
• Rack system for measuring thin film lighting devices using different poling modes, while controlling luminance and chromaticity features over time using eye-corrected detectors
• Electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS).